Happy Solstice peeps! It's officially summer here in KC and man, oh, man, does it feel like it. I think Mother Nature must have been over excited because based on the heat and humidity we've been having she jumped in with both feet. The bad thing about being cooped up in the A/C is I've been spending a lot of time at the computer. The good thing about being cooped up in the A/C is I've been spending a lot of time at the computer, haha! Consequently tho, I have some fun stuff to share with you, including not one, but two free sets of wallpapers for desktop and mobile. So! Ready, set, here we go with
1. EATING my weight in Ramen Salad. Have you ever tried it? It's flipping delicious! It's cold, and crunchy, and chewy, and sweet, and spicy - all the things you want in a summer salad. I've been making a version based on this recipe on the Lettuce Eat Veggies blog (cutest blog name ever) but with a few riffs to make it my own. I don't use agave nectar because it's basically HFC in disguise so I substitute maple, or honey, or date syrup (which is literally just dates you can pour and is awesome because it's full of vitamins and minerals) and I only use about half of the sweet her recipe calls for, maybe less. I also use half the oil because I hate when the oil overpowers the vinegar and I use grape seed oil which has a really nice neutral flavor and is rich in antioxidants. Then I add a clove of crushed garlic and a nice size nub of grated ginger. I skip the salt because I think the soy sauce (I use gluten free tamari) adds plenty, and the pepper but I do add a pinch of crushed red pepper flakes and a dash of sriracha. I don't bother measuring the veggies - I just throw things in a bowl until the ratios look right but if you're the kind of person who is more comfortable following a recipe I'm sure the amounts Jamie gives are perfect. I like to use broccoli slaw instead of cabbage because, hello! Yum! but seriously, any cruciferous veggie would work. I buy super tasty ramen noodles from Lotus Foods made from organic millet and brown rice (Target and Whole Foods both carry them) that toast up nicely and don't require any frustration over what to do with that useless spice package, and I top the whole thing with a generous amount of chopped cilantro. It is SO good. I've been eating it as a main dish (because who wants to cook when it's this hot? Ick!) but it would be great as a side for something off the grill and would make an awesome dish for a pot luck (Fourth of July picnic anyone?) And do please let me know if you try it. I'm curious to know if I'm the only one who is addicted.
2. SPINNING Purple Rain pretty much non-stop. If you're a Prince fan you may love this article over at Red Bull Music Academy Daily with Prince's engineer, collaborator, and confidante Susan Rogers as much as I do. Be sure to allow time to watch the embedded music videos along the way. And if you're a super fan be sure to check out this 2+ hour long lecture Rogers' gave in Montreal in 2016.
3. CRUSHING ON this quote by Danielle Evans:
"As creatives, we can raise someone else's equity through our skills; this is a gift and a privilege. With a little research, harmonizing with another voice broadens our visual song." Spread the love peeps.
6. MOURNING the loss of 10 pounds of frozen bananas when our electricity went out in a storm the other night. I feel grateful we didn't lose a whole lot more than that. Not sure what to keep and what to throw out if your fridge goes without power for an extended period of time? Here's a link to the guide from foodsaftey.gov. Not sure what to do with 10 pounds of frozen bananas? You can never go wrong with nice cream.
7. DREAMING of a trip to Joshua Tree to see Monument House. It reminds me of a Charles Sheeler painting, and I'd like to spend about a year photographing it in every kind of light. Any grant writers want to contribute to the cause?
8. INCESSANTLY GOOGLING piñata cartoons and LMAO.
9. BINGE WATCHING season two of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt. Ellie Kemper and Tituss Burgess are flipping hilarious.
That's it my lovelies. Hope you all are having a terrific week, and if not, maybe something here made it a little better.
Until next time,
Picturing Juj is the website of content creator and color ninja Juj Winn. Please visit the home page for a selection of Juj's brand work, or find her on Instagram to see the latest fun.